Thursday, September 10, 2009

Anticipation


Photo 1
My teacher is awesome. I did some research on him and found some really great stuff. He's been in exhibits all over the world, mostly in New York, Philadelphia, The Netherlands, and of course, Chicago. He grew up in South Side Chicago and got a MFA & BA at Columbia. He really inspired me to live and breath photography. You can check out some of his work here. He's laid back, but particular about what he expects out of all of us. As most teachers do, he advised us to use the school, The Museum of Contemporary Photography (on campus), the Art Institute of Chicago, the library, and everything around us, to soak up every ounce of information that we can.  This class is going to be so awesome. It's kind of a refresher for me, but I have a feeling I am going to learn a lot. (Not to mention that it's on the 8th floor and I have an amazing view of Lake Michigan EVERYDAY!) It just blows my mind. Everyone in the class seems really cool, isn't from Chicago at all, it's crazy! 

Darkroom 1
I have the same people in this class as I do in my Photo 1, just a different teacher. My teacher seems really serious about everything, but very cool.  She's older and has been teaching at Columbia for awhile. One of the first things she told us was, "You can check out my work at karenglaserphotography.com" SERIOUS BUSINESS. She said as of recently she's been doing a lot of underwater photographs. I checked some of them out, and they are extraordinary. 
 
On the first day of class she showed us a 25 x 38 print of this. 

She also showed us the darkrooms (which are huge) and where to develop film, and then we got to see some work that was at the Museum of Contemporary Photography. Upon walking in the students working there we're talking amongst themselves and saying, "Oh Karen's here you guys..Karen's here." I felt honored to even be in her presence. I didn't know this but, you can request to see an artists work anytime during certain hours. And everything is the original prints! How crazy is that?


2-D Design
Definitely not the class I thought it was. I thought we would be doing things on the computer, and designing using shapes and patterns and what not. Completely wrong. It's mostly drawing and painting. FUCK! I don't mind it, I just can't really do either of those things very well, so it'll be interesting to see how this class works out for me. Right when we started he gave us an assignment to pick out seven images for a scale and have one side be the good, and one side be the evil, what comes in the middle, and everything else in between. The first thing that came into my head was images of rich people, images of poor people, and images of the middle class, so I just went with that. Everyone in that class is mostly Art & Design majors, or Advertising majors. AND there was only 1 person in the class that was actually from Chicago. WILD! 

Art History 
My teacher is wild about art history, let me tell you. It's your typical lecture class, but he's so scatter-brained it's hard to keep up with him. It's almost as if he has too much information and he just wants to get it all out at once. I met a couple new people in the class, so hopefully that should make it better. 


School is amazing. It feels good to be back. 





No comments: